Saturday 12 November 2011

{ths}

{ths}'s 2nd book to be released. It contains a collection of some of his more 'racy' works.


This week I'm showing you the work of Thomas Schostok a.k.a. {ths}.  I'm not sure how many of you will be familiar with his work as despite having an abundance on projects under his belt I do not believe he is well known (that could however just be within the circles I occupy though).


I first heard of {ths}'s work in an issue of Computer Arts Project where he gave a tutorial on how to create your own Glue Book. Glue Books were apparently how {ths} got started in design and ended up honing the style he is known for. Basically a Glue Book is a Sketchbook or Log-book actually constructed by the artist and contains artwork made up of collages. The ratio of the entire book usually ends up 80% pva glue, 20% actual content (I'm taking the piss with those numbers). The more chaotic and messy the artwork is the happier {ths} is.


As mentioned his work is very chaotic and messy. His work has a very rebellious, punk feel to it as he uses whatever he gets his hands on to create the designs. In his tutorial I mentioned the reader is instructed to tare apart old magazines and children's books for the base of the images and then cover them with tape containing mud and dirt from the street. {ths}'s entire style seems focused on the feel and texture of the work and how the viewer interacts with it and/or the message behind it.


Although I have described him very much as an artist so far {ths} is in fact a designer and explores more than just sticky kids books. He works on web designs, corporate identities & stationary, booklet and layout designs, and even creates his own typefaces. He is even one of the founding members of a type foundry The Cape Arcona Type Foundry.


One of the many typefaces {ths} designed. 

{ths} has layered an abundance of different types of paper to create the textured look for this corporate letterhead.

Corporate Stationary believe it or not.


I have been a big admirer of {ths}'s work since starting my 1st year of uni and although my style may not resemble anything near his I like to think that the random exploration in his work can been seen in my own. I have tried tabling in his style several times but for some reason find it incredibly difficult. I guess you get better at it with a life times worth of experience (of course), but who knows I might give it another go. After rediscovering his work and writing this blog I feel inspired. I'll let you know how it goes.

A cover created for a booklet containing different street artists profiles and portfolios. Notice the stylistic difference between the mash of a cover design and the crisp logo, both designed by {ths}.
A spread of some of {ths}'s personal pieces.






I'm not sure why but I've really taken a liking do this album cover. His style seems a perfect match for prog punk bands such At The Drive In or even the Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs.








No comments:

Post a Comment